The Alba-Ter Consortium (www.albater.org) is a supramunicipal body that is the driving force of activities of cohesion, conservation, sustainability and promotion for the whole area of the hydrographic basin of the Ter river through four spheres of action: natural heritage, cultural heritage, economic and tourism promotion and communication and awareness-raising.
The Consortium is made up of 53 town councils and 5 regional councils of the Ter basin and represents 96.04% of the riverside population of the Ter and Freser rivers with a total of 250,239 inhabitants.
- Origins: The Consortium was founded in 1998, but its origin dates back to 1997 with the Alba-Ter/Ave project which served to implement a geographic information system for the Ter basin (SIG) and the elaboration of the Comprehensive Management Plan of the River Ter (POIRT). This plan established what needed to be done so that the water and river area became elements of identity and singularity of the Ter river basin, prioritising an ecological well-being and making it compatible with the development of economic, social and cultural activities in a sustainable and coordinated way.
- Spheres of action: The Consortium works in four fields:
- The area of Natural Heritage which aims to recover natural areas and representative places of the riverside to convert the river into an ecological corridor.
- The area of Cultural Heritage which aims to give value to the heritage sites related to the use of water by cataloguing, legally protecting and rehabilitating and restoring them.
- The area of Economic and Tourism Promotion which aims to develop the economic potential of the river Ter through the River Ter Route, a sustainable tourist product which gives value to the endogenous resources.
- The area of Communication and Awareness-raising which aims to promote the cohesion, participation and awareness of society to contribute to the sustainable development of the Ter river basin area. This area is also responsible for transmitting the image and actions of the Alba-Ter Consortium so that it becomes a benchmark organisation within its area of influence and outside it as well.